Sunday 15 March 2015

Interview with Gwen Lu By Marie Claire Magazine



Gwen is now based in New York where she fronts major ad campaigns for brands such as Schwartzkopf and Shiseido and has graced nearly every magazine cover from here to most of the Asian continent. She takes time off from her hectic schedule to give us a little insight into the bubbly personality behind the shy but stunning exterior.
Here is an highlight of an interview she had with Marie Claire magazine
What are you currently working on and what are some of your next big projects?
I was on a solo road trip. After 7 years of working in the USA, I finally packed a little suitcase, and headed out to explore different sides of this country: Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Chicago, Memphis, NewOrleans, Nashville, etc. But now, I guess it’s time to get back to work!
Tell us how you got into modelling and what do you plan to pursue in the future?
After numerous words of encouragement from friends, I started off as a part-timer while working as a quantity surveyor, climbing my way up in the corporate ladder. I had to pick one side when I couldn’t cope with both, and I chose the challenging side. I was a little insecure as I still didn’t have a clue what this business was about! My family was furious when I quit my full-time job. But I’ve always been the rebellious and hard-headed one and even after months of hitting a wall, and struggling financially, I persevered. I’m so blessed to have finally found my path on this venture. As for the future, I want to cook! I mean, I want to run a kitchen full time, and cook real food with soul, love and pride.


In your mind, what represents the typical Asian beauty standard?
The external elements that define beauty can be very diversified. I personally favour Asian girls who constantly challenge the stereotypes. However, I think the most beautiful thing about us Asians is the way we project our feelings. It is delicate and affectionate, interspersed with shyness and politeness. This is very exotic, it is a different kind of beauty.
Were there any prominent Asian women that inspired you to get into the modelling and fashion industry?
Ai Tominaga.
What are the top three things you tell your international fans about Malaysia?
Our language, Malay, is the national language, English is widely spoken, and there are a dozen more Chinese and Indian dialects spoken in different parts of the country, a sign of the diversity of our culture.
Our laughter, Malaysians are positive and happy people, we love to tell jokes and we really laugh wholeheartedly. I miss the sound of it now that I’m talking about this.
Our love, Malaysians are warm and friendly, we love to host and welcome friends to discover and share the beauty of our country.
source:Marie Claire magazine Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment