Saturday 9 May 2015

This Thing Called Conscience

My Laptop is having some issues and I just finished my exams last week. I am trying to explain why I have been missing in action. Gosh I have been trying to get a place to do my internship and it seems like no one, nobody wants me...I must say, that that feeling is really depressing. I have never checked my mail box as often as I have done for the past two weeks. It's like a job hunting...I wonder what the real job hunting is like. Every "we regret to inform you" letter I have received just makes me feel tired and sad. OK I am done ranting about internship and all. I am alive, hence there is hope.                     

Back to the topic... This thing called conscience. Have you ever done something and something just pricks you on the inside... Like an alarm goes on screaming 'that was wrong!' I have had that feeling, as a matter of fact everyone has had that feeling countless number of times.

One thing I have noticed is that as we become older we get too familiar with this alarm that awakens us and it loses it effect on us.

Conscience is a divinely implanted faculty in man, telling him what he ought to do right. Yet in a way conscience is enough, I think it just get less effective as we go through life.  It becomes dead and too silent that we hardly here it speak.

The things we choose as we mature affects our conscience; our beliefs, our religion and our moral identity and the society.  These things I have mentioned affects greatly the actions of a person. Countless times I have decided to do something bad but my conscience won't let me because my religion forbids it or my personal beliefs forbids it, I know it is wrong hence I could just desist from carrying out that action and feel at peace or ignore my conscience, carry out the action and suffer the guilt for a while.

Conscience is that something that speaks inside us, something that tries to stop us from doing what is wrong or might cause us harm, something that gets louder or more silent as we grow. It is this thing called conscience. It could be silent but one thing I know is that when it is alive it always tells the TRUTH.

No comments:

Post a Comment